National Academy of Engineering - Regional Meeting and Public Symposium
Time: 11:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Location: Johnson Great Rm Memorial Hall McNamara Alumni Center
The University of Minnesota is hosting the regional meeting of the National
Academy of Engineering (NAE) on April 29, 2013. The NAE will hold its
regional business meeting for members, beginning with lunch, and then be
followed by a symposium opened to the public, including local industry
personnel, other faculty and students. Six University of Minnesota faculty
members will present on "From Grand Challenges to Grand Solutions: Moving
from Knowledge Generation to Real World Action."
A wine and light Hors d'Oeuvres reception will follow the symposium.
Reservations are requested. RSVP here.
For hotel accommodations, please content The Commons Hotel.
- 1:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- 2:00 p.m. - 2:05 p.m.
- Welcome - Eric Kaler, President, University of Minnesota; Member, National Academy of Engineering
- 2:05 p.m. - 2:20 p.m.
- Opening Remarks - Maxine L. Savitz, Vice President, National Academy of Engineering
- 2:20 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
- "Can We Feed a Growing World, and Sustain the Planet?" - Jon Foley, Director, Institute on the Environment, University of Minnesota
- 2:45 p.m. - 3:10 p.m.
- "Building Sustainable, Health and Resilient Cities Globally: Translating Research to Action" - Anu Ramaswami, Denny Chair for Science, Technology, & Public Policy, Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota
- 3:10 p.m. - 3:35 p.m.
- "Man-Made, Mammalian-Transmissible H5N1 Influenza Virus: Engineering A Potential Global Catastrophe" - Michael Osterholm, Director, Center for Infectious Disease Research & Policy, University of Minnesota
- 3:35 p.m. - 3:55 p.m.
- 3:55 p.m. - 4:20 p.m.
- "Global One Health: Lessons Learned in Making the Land Grant Mission Global" - Katey Pelican, Lead, Ecosystem Health Initiative; University Partner Co-Lead, USAID RESPOND Project, Resident Fellow, Institute on the Environment, University of Minnesota
- 4:20 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
- "Accounting for Nature: Incorporating the Value of Ecosystem Services into Decision-Making" - Stephen Polasky, Fesler-Lampert Professor of Ecological/ Environmental Economics, University of Minnesota
- 4:45 p.m. - 5:10 p.m.
- "The Acara Program: Social Entrepreneurship to Address Global Grand Challenges" - Julian Marshall, Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota
- 5:10 p.m. - 5:15 p.m.
- Closing Remarks - Steven Crouch, Dean, College of Science and Engineering, University of Minnesota; Member, National Academy of Engineering
- 5:15 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Wine and Light Hors d'Oeuvres Reception
- Name: Janet Kendra
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone: 612-624-1345
- Sponsored by: National Academy of Engineering, Office of the President
To request disability accommodations, please contact Janet Kendra, Office of the President, firstname.lastname@example.org; 612-624-1345.